1. The good thickening, film-forming, stability and gelatinization properties of modified starch are mainly used in rice flour products. The main modified starch used are esterified starch and hydroxypropyl starch
1) The fried instant noodles with modified starch have crisp structure and low oil absorption, and the product has good quality and storage stability
2) In instant noodles, it can improve the rehydration, chewability and elasticity of noodles and reduce the cooking time
3) Adding modified starch to the pastry can reduce the oil absorption, improve the crispness of the pastry, and extend the storage time of the products
4) In the production of Rice noodles, it can be used as a tissue forming agent and a viscosity agent to increase the transparency and smoothness of products, reduce viscosity and improve the taste.
2. The good film-forming property, high temperature expansion and stability of modified starch are mainly used in baking products
1) It can be used as butter substitute in cake and icing production, providing good capacity and structure, and reducing human fat intake.
2) As a glaze agent in baked food, it can form a good, clear and bright film instead of expensive protein and natural glue.
3) As a stabilizer and thickener in fruit cakes, pies and fillings, it provides products with smooth and short silk structure to prevent layering and bursting of fillings.
It can produce crisp texture, good color and good taste in waffle biscuits, hair biscuits and cookies. In flour food, it can also increase the firmness and boiling resistance of products.
Starch is required to have certain expansibility for products such as crackers and rice fruits. Pregelatinized starch is the raw material of this kind of product, which is better than adding ordinary starch. The reason is that part of the starch in the mixture made of pre-gelatinized starch has absorbed water. When baking, a large number of water-frozen starch particles will bubble out, resulting in swelling. On the contrary, if ordinary starch is used, it will not absorb water until baking, so it is not easy to achieve the purpose of crispness. Sometimes in order to achieve better results, denatured pre-gelatinized starch is also used.
3. Application in frozen food. Denatured starch mainly plays the role of thickening, improving texture, anti-aging and improving sensory quality in most frozen food.
For example, the skin of rice dumpling is easy to crack after freezing, and it cannot be repeatedly frozen and melted. Adding about 5% etherified starch to the glutinous rice flour for making rice dumpling can play the role of bonding and wetting, effectively avoid skin cracking and starch retrogradation, reduce the phenomenon of soup paste during cooking, and reduce the amount of solids in the soup.
4. The application in snack food mainly uses the good adhesion, expansion, brittleness and fluffy structure of modified starch. The commonly used modified starch includes pre-gelatinized starch, etherified starch and compound modified starch
1) In extruded food, modified starch can make the product have a good degree of expansion and structure, the strength and brittleness of the product are also improved, the product structure is uniform, the yield is high, and the functional fiber composition can be increased
2) In microwave puffed food, modified starch can control the volume and structure of the product and make the pores of the product uniform
3) In crispy peanuts, modified starch can improve the crispy tissue and give the crispy light, crisp, crisp and fluffy structure
4) In other foods, denatured starch can also play a good role